Video game development studio The Farm 51 has released announced new post-nuclear apocalyptic survival horror game Chernobylite. Set in Chernobyl and based on Unreal Engine 4, the game focuses on exploration, crafting, survival, and a non-linear story.
Accompanying the announcement is a nearly minute-long, narrated trailer featuring a collection of creepy in-game cinematic sequences:
Chernobylite is currently in-development for PC and unspecified consoles, with no release date given.
April 26th, 1:23 AM Ukrainian time, 1986. The day on which the Chernobyl nuclear catastrophe happened and the lives of 350,000 people changed forever. At the time you were just a young, passionate, naive physicist working at the facility. And like many, you’ve lost what was most dear to you – a loved one. 30 years later you’re still struggling with the demons of the past. So, to finally put them to rest, you return to what’s now called the Chernobyl Exclusion Zone.
30 years after the catastrophe, the pollution in Chernobyl continues to increase due to the unexpected activity of a dangerous substance produced as a result of the explosion, called “chernobylite”. It is rumored from other stalkers still living in the Zone, that under the influence of its radioactivity, strange things have started to happen. Things only described in tales for naughty children up until now. You’re returning to Chernobyl with one goal in mind: to find your missing girlfriend and uncover the dark secret behind her disappearance. Get ready to confront not only the dangers of radiation and the military presence, but also the potential threat emanating from these new, mysterious happenings. Keep your wits about you and try to maintain your composure, because Chernobylite is going to challenge your very sanity.
- Explore the beautiful and horrifyingly accurate 3D-scanned recreation of the Chernobyl Exclusion Zone.
- Collaborate or compete with other stalkers of the Zone. But whatever you do, never fully trust them. Remember everybody has a hidden agenda. Always.
- Face and survive the natural and supernatural threats.
- Immerse yourself in the non-linear, thrilling, science-fiction horror story.
- Make good use of your physics and chemistry knowledge to craft your equipment and manage your supplies.
- Fight against the savage creatures pouring out from an alternate reality.
- Investigate and collect data with a set of sophisticated environment and substance-analyzing tools.