Video game publisher Deep Silver & development studio 4A Games have released the “Artyom’s Nightmare” cinematic prologue video for their upcoming post-apocalyptic first-person shooter sequel Metro Exodus. The fully cinematic video was created by 4A Games in conjunction with visual effects & animation studio Platige Image.
The over four minute long video starts off with franchise main character Artyom coming across a young boy while patrolling the Metro. The strange boy opens a Russian doll which lets loose a deluge of water from above, which eventually washes Artyom away to a swamp, where he finds his wife Anna in a rowboat. She’s holding a baby who is wearing a gas mask and clutching a Russian doll. The baby drops the doll and Artyom suddenly finds himself in the middle of a firefight on the roof of the Aurora traversing the desert. Artyom sees the same boy aboard the train during the fight, and he opens the doll once more, sending Artyom to a snow-covered city full of mutants. After taking refuge from the mutants, our hero once again discovers the boy, who opens the doll, sending Artyon into a dual timeline of the city and a Spring meadow. The video ends with Artyom placing the Russian doll on a remembrance wall in the Metro before departing for the world above.
The video leads us to believe that the boy is perhaps Artyom’s son, but we;re still unclear as to whether the events depicted are foreshadowing what will happen in Metro Exodus, or what was already happened before the game begins.
Metro author Dmitry Glukhovsky said: “Watching 4A Games take my characters off the page and onto the screen has been a privilege. I hope fans will enjoy this new glimpse into Artyom’s world.”
While Metro Exodus won’t be released until Friday, February 15th for PC, PlayStation 4, and Xbox One, it’s now available to preorder for just $59.99:
The year is 2036. A quarter-century after nuclear war devastated the earth, a few thousand survivors still cling to existence beneath the ruins of Moscow, in the tunnels of the Metro. They have struggled against the poisoned elements, fought mutated beasts and paranormal horrors, and suffered the flames of civil war. But now, as Artyom, you must flee the Metro and lead a band of Spartan Rangers on an incredible, continent-spanning journey across post-apocalyptic Russia in search of a new life in the East.
- Embark on an incredible journey – board the Aurora, a heavily modified steam locomotive, and join a handful of survivors as they search for a new life in the East.
- Experience Sandbox Survival – a gripping story links together classic Metro gameplay with new huge, non-linear levels.
- A beautiful, hostile world – discover the post-apocalyptic Russian wilderness, brought to life with stunning day/night cycles and dynamic weather.
- Deadly combat and stealth – scavenge and craft in the field to customize your arsenal of hand-made weaponry, and engage human and mutant foes in thrilling tactical combat.
- Your choices determine your comrades’ fate – not all your companions will survive the journey; your decisions have consequence in a gripping storyline that offers massive re-playability.
- The ultimate in atmosphere and immersion – a flickering candle in the darkness; a ragged gasp as your gasmask frosts over; the howl of a mutant on the night wind – Metro will immerse and terrify you like no other game…
PC System Requirements:
|Average Performance||1080p @ 30 FPS||1080p @ 60 FPS||1440p @ 60 FPS||4K @ 60 FPS|
|OS||Windows 7/8/10||Windows 10||Windows 10||Windows 10|
|CPU||Intel Core i5-4440||Intel Core i7-4770K||Intel Core i7-8700K||Intel Core i9-9900K|
|GPU||Nvidia GeForce GTX 670/1050 or AMD Radeon HD 7870||Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070/RTX 2060 or AMD RX Vega 56||Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti/RTX 2070 or AMD RX Vega 64||Nvidia GeForce RTX 20180 Ti|
- Note: Windows 10 RS5 (Build 1809) or newer and DirectX 12 required for RTX features. Win 8.1 requires build 9600 or newer, Win 8 requires build 9200 or newer, Win 7 requires SP1 or newer.
MORE: Check Out The Metro Exodus Official ‘Uncovered’ Gameplay Video
MORE: Metro Exodus Gets PC System Requirements & Epic Store Release
MORE: Watch ‘The Making Of Metro Exodus’ Now!
MORE: Metro Exodus ‘Artyom Custom Edition’ Comes With Real Nixie Watch
MORE: Watch The Metro Exodus Story Trailer Now!
MORE: Metro Exodus Will Launch With Photo Mode